My Photo
Name:
Location: Arizona, United States

My name is Colleen and I find dead people.

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]

28 December, 2005

There's Something About Mary

That I just don't know. Actually, there's a LOT about Mary that I just don't know!

The stories about my great grandmother Mary Griffin that have been passed down to my dad are as follows:

1. She moved with ther family to Canada. My great-grandfather Dennis Joseph McHugh followed her, then took her to Pennsylvania with him.

2. Her family owned the Griffin Shoe Polish Company at some point. I have found nothing on internet searches to back this up; nor have I found anything to disprove it. I did find an item on e-bay that I bought for a few bucks:

Here is the information that I've found on Mary Griffin, mostly from US Census records and a marriage index.

She was born abt 1867 in Ireland (possibly County Cork). According to the 1900 US Census, she immigrated in 1875. Per the 1910 US Census, Mary immigrated to the U.S. in 1886. According to the 1920 US Census, she immigrated in 1880 and became a naturalized citizen in 1884.

A marriage record index shows a Mary Griffin marrying a Dennis McHugh on 26 Apr 1886 in Eckley, PA. This would be consistent with the birthdate of her first born in 1887.

The 1910 Census indicates that she gave birth to 11 children and currently had 8 who were living.

These children are those that survived to the 1900 Census:

Patrick (Mar. 1887)

John (May, 1889)

Anthony (1 Mar 1893)

Annie (June 1896)

Michael: (21 Sep 1898)

Francis (1900)

Joseph (20 Nov 1902 - 1976) (my grandfather)

Edward (aft. 1902).

Birthdates for Anthony and Michael are from WWI Draft Registration Cards. According to these documents, they lived with their parents at 1232 Prospect Street in Nanticoke, Luzerne County, PA.

Joseph's information is from living relatives, including my dad. It is believed that either or both Dennis Joseph McHugh and/or Mary Griffin were from County Cork, Ireland.

1 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

It's amazing what you can find on Ebay! That old Griffin ad is very cool...nice keepsake to have with your scrapbook stuff.

Donna :)

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?
http://www.hit-counter-download.com