My Photo
Name:
Location: Arizona, United States

My name is Colleen and I find dead people.

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]

09 June, 2006

Well, DUH!

I really wish I could afford to work on my genealogy full time. Perhaps if I did I wouldn't forget about information I had!

I finally gave up on AOL and got a cable internet connection. I've spent most of today setting it up. I made the mistake of using the cable program's utility to transfer my saved emails from AOL to comcast. It sure sounded like a good program. And it is. It is so good that it managed to find over 1100 emails from my genealogy email alone! I have no idea where it found them, as I do not have AOL set up to save all my emails; I have to manually save them. And I promise you, I probably have 100 emails at most saved. So the utility must have found stuff in cyberspace that I figured was long gone! Anyway, instead of trying to wade through 1100 emails to figure out which ones to save, I deleted them all from the comcast email and went back to my saved mail from AOL. Many of these are too old and won't forward any longer so I had to copy the text and then send to my new email. Tedious, but as it turns out, I'm glad I ended up having to do that.


Do you remember these pictures? Your'e probably getting tired of them! (Hey, at least they are really cool pictures). The question was what storefront this was that had their surname, HODICK, on it. I'd followed up not long ago with a post after talking to my cousin who said that my great-grandfather Edward HODICK had owned a bar.

Well, one of the emails I had saved was one from the president of a Historical Society in Luzerne County,PA, where Nanticoke is, and where my grandmother and great-aunts grew up. Her emails informed me that many areas of Nanticoke had streets that were lined with storefronts, and that often there was a residence right next to a business with one of these store fronts.

Well, another thing in the emails from this same Historical Society president that I reviewed today was the listing for this place of business. I totally forgot I had it! The listing showed the business to be the Edward Hodick Hotel. It was located at the corner of Market Street and Union in Nanticoke.

This email was dated from February of this year. I've had the answer all along and never even knew it. This is what I mean when I say I wish I was able to do this full-time. It's so hard to remember things when you can only research sporadically.

Okay, I'm going away from the keyboard now to create a genealogical "To-Do" list so that I can at least record things that I need to follow up on!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?
http://www.hit-counter-download.com