My Photo
Name:
Location: Arizona, United States

My name is Colleen and I find dead people.

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]

15 January, 2007

Time to Return

It is way past time for me to pick up my research where I left off.

The other day I was browsing through some speculations I had on my paternal McHUGH line of Nanticoke, Luzerne County, PA. I came across a 1910 PA Miracode Index that listed a Patrick McHUGH living in Philadelphia with Frank GRIFFIN, who was identified on the record as a cousin to Patrick.

My father's paternal grandmother's name was Mary GRIFFIN McHUGH. So I did a search on
Ancestry.com for a Patrick McHUGH in Philadelphia, PA. Low and behold, look what I found!
This is the 1910 U.S. Census from Philadelphia, PA. Sure enough, it lists a Patrick McHUGH living with Frank Griffin, his cousin. A little further digging on Patrick led me to the 1942 WWII Draft Registration Cards. Not only did I find Patrick, registered out of Nanticoke at his mother's address, I found his brother John's Registration Card. Out of Philadelphia! This card lists John's mother, Mrs. Mary McHUGH of Prospect Street in Nanticoke PA as his contact.

After finding this card, I spoke with my father who passed on the story that Patrick had been gassed in WWI but still registered for the WWII Draft.

It's important to note that, per a notice posted at Ancestry.com, the second page of the WWII Draft Registration Card describes not the person from the first page of the searched record, but the person whose listing is just prior to the record of the person searched. So I'd have to find the person listed after Patrick and John McHUGH to see their descriptions.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

Good morning! You've been tagged: http://www.geneaholic.com/2007/01/21/5-things-about-lee/

~ Lee

3:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?
http://www.hit-counter-download.com