My Photo
Name:
Location: Arizona, United States

My name is Colleen and I find dead people.

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]

05 December, 2007

December 6: Advent of Christmas Calendar: Santa

Today's Advent of Christmas Memories topic is Santa Claus, and the questions to answer are:

Did you ever send a letter to Santa? Did you ever visit Santa and “make a list?” Do you still believe in Santa Claus?

I honestly do not remember if I ever sent a letter to Santa. I am sure I did (heck, if I mailed a letter to Shaun Cassidy as a 14 year old, I'm sure I mailed a letter to Santa as a 4 year old!). Since I can't remember if I ever sent a letter to him, I certainly can't remember what might have been in the letter!

Now Visiting Santa is a different story. I remember being taken to see Santa at a department store in Niagara Falls. I remember my brothers going to see him. I remember being told by my mom that it was my turn. I remember taking a single step towards him, and I remember turning away and grabbing my mom's leg in tears. Yes, I was afraid of Santa Claus! Sad to say, it made no difference to me when Santa took off his hat, beard and glasses and my grandfather Joseph McHUGH was revealed. I still refused to go to him!

Do I still believe in Santa Claus? Well, let's put it this way. I work at a Children's Clinic, where kids with special health care needs, such as Cerebral Palsy, Muscular Dystrophy, and Cardiac problems, receive care. Twice ... yes, twice ... in the past month I had the privilege of meeting babies whose doctors all said would never leave the hospital alive and would not survive even a weekend. These babies are still alive, and one is no longer identified as "terminal".

So yes, I do believe in Santa Claus.

1 Comments:

Blogger Miriam Robbins said...

It's not hard to believe in Santa whenever you work with children who need extra care, whether it's medical care or academic care, like my special ed students!

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?
http://www.hit-counter-download.com