My Photo
Name:
Location: Arizona, United States

My name is Colleen and I find dead people.

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]

08 January, 2008

My Ancestors in 1908

Lisa at 100 Years in America challenges genea-bloggers to identify where our ancestors were in 1908. I suspect I will be able to successfully figure this out in most of my lines. But I also suspect there will be some difficulty with at least one of my lines.
The John and Jane DOYLE family

Let’s start with the easy ones. In 1900, On Thistle Street in Pittston, Luzerne County, PA I find Mary Doyle, age 53. Mary is my maternal great-grandmother on my mother’s maternal line (isn’t it funny how creative we get to avoid saying “my mother’s mother’s mother”?). My great grandfather William DOYLE died on 1 Apr 1887 (Thanks, Eileen). Living with Mary were: Son James (29), son William (27), daughter Johanna (17), son Frank (Francis, 13), brother Michael Dever (54), and a boarder Mary Murphy, (60).

In 1910, on Thistle Street in Pittston, Luzerne County, PA, I find Mary DOYLE living with her son Frank, son-in-law Thomas HORAN, and daughter, Johanna. Incidentally, living next to this ancestral family is the family of William and Mary JORDAN, whose son James married my mother’s Paternal aunt, Mary (Mae) O’ROURKE.

Also in 1910, on North Main Street in Pittston, Luzerne County, PA I find Mary and William’s sons Frank and John (my great-grandfather) along with John’s family, Jane, Leo, Joe, Blanche Vincent, Margaret James, Regina (my grandmother) and Anna.

I think it’s safe to say then, that in 1908, my DOYLE family was in Pittston, Luzerne County, PA.
(The KEARNS/DONAHUE family)
Next up: The now-infamous James and Mary (KEARNS) O’ROURKE family. In 1900 they were listed on the U.S. Census out of Pittston, PA as ORourk. They were living at 74 Cliff Street. In 1910 they were still living on Cliff Street, and had given birth to all 4 of their children: Margaret (Nellie), James (my grandfather), May (Mary), and Lucille.

I also find living next door to this family the Martin and Mary MURPHY family. Mary (DONAHUE) MURPHY was my great grandmother Mary (KEARNS) O’ROURKE’s maternal aunt (Mary KEARNS’ mother was Bridget DONAHUE, daughter of Lawrence (Sandy) DONAHUE and Mary KEHOE).
The McHUGH family of Nanticoke, Luzerne Cty, PA
Now, onto the McHUGH/HODICK lines. In 1900, my great-grandfather Dennis Joseph McHUGH and his wife, Mary (GRIFFIN) McHUGH were living on Market Street in Nanticoke, Luzerne County, PA. With them were their children Patrick, John, Anthony, Annie, and Michael. My grandfather, Joseph and their other sons Francis and Edward were not born yet.

In 1910 this exact family, minus Patrick, was living on Grand Street in Nanticoke PA. I did find a Patrick McHUGH living with a Frank GRIFFIN (cousin) in Philadelphia in a 1910 Miracode Index for PA. I am reasonably sure this is Patrick, as I also found a WWII draft registration card showing a Patrick McHUGH in Philadelphia, with next of kin listed as Mary McHUGH on Prospect St. in Nanticoke, PA. This was the McHUGH home for quite some time. So it’s safe to say that the McHUGH family was living in Nanticoke, Luzerne Cty, PA in 1908., with the possible exception of Patrick, who may have been in Philly.
The Edward and Justina HODICK family
After quite a bit of searching and a lot of help from a volunteer with the Kansas Historical Society, I found my dad’s maternal grandparents, Edward and Justina HODICK in Washington Township, Crawford County, KS for the 1900 U.S. Census. It was difficult to find them because I was searching under Frontenac, KS, where several HODICK children were born, and because I searched every conceivable spelling except HODIZ, which is the spelling the KHS volunteer found them under. Living with Edward and Justina in 1900 were children William, Joseph, Anthony, and Thomas. They were living with a Judiz family. (Maybe that should have been Judick?!). My grandmother, Mary and the two youngest, Edward and Sylvestina, were not yet born.

In 1910, the eldest son, William HODICK, was living in Frontenac, Crawford Cty, PA. He was married, but his wife’s name is illegible.
I’ve yet to find the rest of the HODICK family in 1910. However, Mary,Edward, and Sylvestina, the three youngest children, were born in 1906, 1908, and 1910 respectively, and the 1920 and 1930 Census records show them all born in Kansas.

I think it’s safe to say, then, that the whole of the HODICK family was living in Kansas in 1908.

There you have it; the likely whereabouts of my 8 great-grandparents in the year 1908, one hundred years ago this year. Where was YOUR family?

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa / Smallest Leaf said...

I'm glad to see that you also took the time to find the whereabouts of your own family members in 1908, Colleen.

It is interesting to read about your Irish Pennsylvania relatives. Unfortunately, my McCue branch of the family were all from Massachusetts as far back as I've discovered, but maybe we can find a connection back in Ireland. Have you learned the Irish county of origin for your family yet?

7:52 AM  
Blogger Terry Thornton said...

Colleen, Your DOYLE family surname is of interest to me --- no kin --- I used to drive thru Doyle, Tennessee [White County] and was always impressed with that small village and with that interesting name. The 1820 Census has Rhodom and Simon DOYLE in White Cty TN; in 1860 there were George W., James H., Jane, William L DOYLE and later years show several families in or around White Cty TN. Are these some of yours?
TERRY THORNTON

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?
http://www.hit-counter-download.com